I have never had any trouble with GM trucks.  I have had the 350's, the
6.2 and 6.5 diesels, and the 6.6 duramax.  Never any major trouble at
all.  The 350 gas engine is very cheap and reliable to operate.  You can
pretty much buy a rebuild kit in the grocery store and rebuild it in the
parking lot if you want, only using basic hand tools.  Well, maybe more
to it than that but you get the idea.  I have also had good luck with GM
cars.  I used to use pontiac sunbirds and cavaliers for delivering
papers way back in the day.  Beat  the hell out of them and they kept going.

Donald Snook wrote:
> Loren wrote: "our experience with GM junk ended with the 60s engines.  Dad
> bought a new 64 30 series truck with a 6 cyl.  The bores were too badly egged
> out by 60 k or so that the block could not even be rebuilt.  Then there was
> the van, also with a 6 cyl, but it made it to 80k or so with the pistons
> slapping away.  It was sold and he bought a 68 chevy van with a 307 v-8."
>
> I think GM gets a lot of bad press because of things that happened a LONG
> time ago.  I can tell you this much about my experience with GM cars.  I was
> a service manager at an Oldsmobile and Honda dealership (1998-2001).  We
> worked on just about all GM cars not just Olds.  I have also owned 35-40 cars
> and the VAST majority of them have been GM cars.  The best cars I have ever
> owned were 2-3 Oldsmobiles and 2-3 Mercedes.
>
> CURRENTLY judging GM by incidents which happened 40 years ago doesn't make
> sense.  Technology has advanced, ALL American cars have become significantly
> more reliable.  In fact, in recent years several GM cars have had fewer
> initial defects than most of the imported cars.
>
> Since we are only using anecdotal evidence to support our arguments, here's
> mine.
>
> I have owned the following GM cars with over 200,000 miles.
>
> 1981 Olds 98 (they did have crappy transmissions, but mine lasted to 185,000
> miles)  307 "Y" motor  -- Ran into fire hydrant with 207,000 miles- hydrant
> won.
>
> 1985 Olds 98 (block cracked and leaked coolant fixed with JB weld) drove it
> to 230,000 miles and sold it to a friend.  He wrecked it almost 300,000
> miles.  3.8 "1" motor
>
> 1984 Delta 88 (297,000 miles)  rebuilt the alternator once.  Replaced the
> water pump once.  307 "Y" motor
>
> 1984 Olds Toronado.  Got terrible mileage.  Rebuilt carb and ran great.
> Totalled it ran into herd of cows crossing a highway.  200,000 + miles
>
> 1990 Olds 88 fantastic car.  235,000 Replaced the alternator twice (in
> 100,000 miles) and got 30+ mpg.
>
> 1996 Olds Cutlass Ciera 201,000 miles.  Drove it 100,000 miles.  Replaced the
> muffler, one power window motor, alternator and starter.  Fuel cutoff at 105
> mph so, I kept it at 100 all the time between Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas.
> 3.1 V6
>
> I also had a 1999 Olds Intrigue with less miles.  Bought it with 8,000 miles.
>  Drove it 95,000 miles.  The only repair it needed was an alternator under
> warranty and a turn signal socket also under warranty.  In laws bought it and
> drove until a few months ago.  It had 165,000 miles.  It needed rear struts
> and the drivers power window motor.  3.5 V6 "Short - Star"
>
> Add to this is the hundreds of cars that I saw at the dealership with tons of
> miles on them.  One of my customers had a fleet of Oldsmobile Achievas with
> 300,000 - 400,000 miles.  Cars all had the Quad 4 or the 3.1 V6.
>
> I currently have a 1990 Buick Lesabre.  It has 184,000 miles.  Previous owner
> [...]

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D,
  89 560SEL, 89 260E, 87 300SDL, 86 560SL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
  84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250