-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:35 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] W123 lightening

> But did anybody else notice its a $400 car? How much could I possibly
> devalue it? I'm below Kaleb money already.

I bought a $500 car, some may recall.  Sold it for $2500.  Perhaps
could have gotten more if some dumb SOB hand not _removed_ all of
the AC stuff in front, 'cause I could probably have fixed it.  Gina
now has a nice-looking car, but it won't ever have AC unless she's
stupidly extravagant or has some clever friends.  Fortunately she
lives in an area where AC is not needed too often.  See:

        http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/mb240d.html

It still torques me.

> I bought it...for $1500. Drove it...sold it for $800.

When missing parts the sale price is generally lower than otherwise.
So either you lose more or don't gain as much.

> Now I'm buying it back for $400

You get another whack at it!  See if you can run it up higher
this time, when it's time.

> what else can I get for $400 that comes with MY ownership records?

Nada!  For the right price I'd buy back either of the two
MB's I've sold.  (Well, I wouldn't right now, more cars
is the _last_ thing I need!)

> Sure it needs an exhaust, so it'll be $700, still, what can I buy for
> that?

How badly does it need an exhaust?  I've welded up holes in exhaust
systems before.  No, it doesn't last as long nor work as well as
a new system, but for about $3 and maybe a couple of hours of
time you get a pretty good ROI, if you've got the welder.

I combined two 'bad' exhaust systems for our 190D, and so far
it's working well.

-- Jim