>> archer wrote:
>> > A major hard drive mfg is selling a standalone unit that supposedly
>> works
>> > like an internal hard drive complete with its own OS.  It requires two
>> USB
>> > jacks and cords, it's fairly small and compact, has (160 gig
>> > capacity?),
>> > sells for about $150, and seems to be targetted at travelers.  I
>> > noticed
>> > them at Walmart.  Anyone tried them yet?
>> Sounds vaguely like a Network Area Storage (NAS).  Do you have brand or
>> model numbers?
>> John
> I would have said NAS as well, but it requires two USB connections to the
> computer? That doesn't sound quite right. Unless this "OS" the drive is
> running is using the USB as a paired send and receive. Seen some Cisco
> gear
> that would take several varied connections, 56K, ISDN, Frac T and then
> combine them up to increase the overall speed. That could be an
> interesting
> item if they have some how bound two USB controllers together to increase
> the throughput to the system.
>
> I agree, want Manufacturer and Model Numbers, need to do some research.
> EdB
The instructions said the second cable was needed only if an OS was
installed and it was used like an internal harddrive.
I just now checked Seagates and Walmarts websites.  Neither listed that hard
drive.  Seagate may be test marketing it in out-of-the-way Walmarts like the
ones out here in the backwoods.
Gerry