Maybe all I need then is the relay.  Last fall when this problem
first surfaced, someone on the list suggested that over 5A meant the
fuel pump was bad, and a draw over 5 A. would fry the relay.  I was
working from that.  I already ordered the FP, so I will test it when
it gets here.  I kind of expected the used FP I ordered to draw the
same current.

I see no signs of damage in the relay.  Nothing looks cooked and the
points are so small I cant see if they are damaged.  I will probably
not resolder it, because I am not sure my skills are up to it.  I
don't have the heat sinks, desoldering tools and so forth, so i would
likely fry something.

This relay is labelled.  I have seen many instances where one
electronic component was labelled and another was not.  Just depends
on the supplier as far as I can tell.  MB does not seem to require a
part number.

I had often wondered about the banana plugs but never tried it.  I
was trying to figure out how to measure amps when I remembered this
old lab equipment.  I use the cabinet for tools, but I never removed
the voltmeter and ammeter.  It also has a huge old variac built in. I
always thought it would be good to have one, but never have put it to
use.  Never found an application where it was needed.

At 08:56 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
> > I am in need of a good fuel pump relay pn: 001 545 53 05
> > ...for 85 380SL... the fuel pump draws between 5 and 9 amps
> > depending on engine on/off and the length of time it has been
> > running.  5 A. with engine off.
>
>That's about what mine draws.  What's wrong with your relay?
>The high current could have cooked it, but sometimes the extra
>heat only ruins the solder joints, which can be refreshed.
>The relay is easily opened.  New ones are something like $150,
>so it's usually well worth whipping it with an iron.  I did mine,
>and it started working properly after a resoldering.  You could
>resolder it and burnish the relay contacts and see what happens.
>
>Interestingly, nowhere on my relay, supposedly a 000 545 36 05,
>is its Mercedes part number.  Was yours labeled?
>
> > Haven't been able to find a used FP relay so for.
>
>They seem to fail enough that it keeps the supply of good
>used parts down.  Probably doesn't help that the 380 SL
>used four different relays over its production life.
>
> > banana plugs fit perfectly into the 30 and 86 holes
>
>Excellent idea with the banana plugs.  I should have tried
>that, I have some.  (I ended up making a cable with a switch
>and two extra harness male pins and some wire.)
>
>-- Jim

Loren Faeth