Defragging helps to some extent, but regular
defragging won't make a significant difference.  The
areas you need to watch are:

1.) Swap files.  Windows, especially the older
versions like 98, used a dynamic swap file, that is,
the swap file was constantly changing based on systems
needs.  You can get a pretty decent speed bump on the
older systems by going into the system settings and
set up a fixed swap file size, rather than letting the
system do it.  10% of your total hard drive space is
usually more than adequate.

2.) Free space.  If you're getting to the point where
you've got little or no free space on your system
(C:\) drive, get a bigger drive or clear off some
space.  Rule of thumb is never have less than 10% free
space on a system partition (drive.)

3.) Adware and malware.  Nasty stuff.  You would be
absolutely amazed at the burden this crap puts on the
system, and you won't see it in msconfig or anywhere
else.  When I used to do consumer PC work I had a
running contest with some of my buddies to see who
could come up with the most adware infected machine.
I think my best was around 7,000+ infections on ONE
machine.  Needless to say it was running at a crawl.
If you've got kids who are constantly surfing the
'net, the best investment you can make is to buy a
license for Ad-Aware (lavasoft.de) and let it run in
the background.  The free version is good, too, but
you have to run it manually.

4.) Memory.  Later Windows OS' are memory hogs, with
Vista being the all time worst.  Memory is cheap - get
as much as you can afford or your machine can take.
If there is one thing I told my consumer customers who
were always asking me about upgrades, it was, "Buy
more memory."

Dan

--- Wilton Strickland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My 10-yr-old computer with Windows 98 was running
> very slowly and hanging up
> a lot, too.  Coupla weeks ago, I improved iit a LOT
> by defragmenting C
> drive, which had not been done in its 10-year life.
> I clicked My computer, right clicked ONCE on C
> drive, clicked properties,
> clicked on the general tab and disk cleanup, checked
> Temp internet files,
> Temp files, Recycle bin, etc., clicked OK; then I
> clicked the tools tab on
> the properties window and selected Defragment -
> defrag took about 3 hrs.
>
> Wilton

Be a better friend, newshound, and