Marshall totally opposed the use of used motor oil. He said "why would you take
something that has too much soot in it to run through your engine, then run it
through the IP, which has much greater tolerances/far more sensitive."

FYI, I have done this, using oil filtered through a 1 micron absolute filter
bag. The oil is still black and after letting it sit for several months in a
fuel container, I used it up and there was a thick coating of sludge at the
bottom - all less than 1 micron sediment. I quit using used motor oil after
that.

Marshall also said that the ash content of the oil will cause problems. He said
that if you had to do it, use the straight 30 wt stuff for older cars, which is
now, BTW, $1.39/qt at wal-mart - used to be $0.93/qt a couple years ago.

Chris

Donald Snook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Lt Don wrote: "Can't that be dumped --
a bit at a time -- into my 240D's fuel tank? If so, at what ratio? I seem to
that remember pouring a quart of motor oil into the fuel tank occasionally was
good for the car."

I think I remember that Marshall Booth used to say that a quart every once in a
while won't hurt anything, but he also said that mobil 1 will not completely
burn and if you do this frequently it could lead to coking up the injectors.
He didn't say don't do it, but I don't think he recommended it either.

I wonder what burning all that soot would do.  It doesn't seem like enough of a
benefit to outweigh the potential risk.

Donald H. Snook

Bünter u. Bügel Diesel Sales & Service
-1985 300SD, 373K km, "Wulf", B20-getrieben
-1992 350 Ram Wagon, 1 Ton, 58K mi, "Der Abschleppwagen"
-'75 240D, '80 300SD, '85 300Dt, '84 300Dt & '83 240D