On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Wilton Strickland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, Alex.  That helps.  'Just trying to prepare for dash and evap
>  removal.  What about radio removal?  I know about lower console,  and I have
>  a writeup from mercedesshop about dash, speakers, etc.  'Have little detail
>  about upper console, radio, climate control, upper switches, etc.
>  Any tips on dash?

Wilton, if you have the original radio, it requires a special tool of
some kind.  I have no experience with that---every 124 I've owned has
had a newer stereo, which seems to always be a friction fit.  (Just
put your hand or a small helper's hand into the space left when you
take out the climate control head unit, undo the plugs, and push it
out from the back.)

The switches above the climate control---headrest release, etc.---pop
out towards the interior of the car, I think.

Re dash removal, I'd warn you, to preserve the cosmetics of your car,
be VERY careful with the side vents, since the clips are very tight
and the plastic is brittle.  If they break on removal, the vent
housings must be replaced or repaired carefully to stay tight and
square (i.e. you can't put them back into their openings broken and
trust the rest of the dash to hold them together).  Otherwise the tiny
plastic rack mechanism that keeps the louvers parallel as you adjust
them will not work as designed, and the louvers will get out of sync
and look crummy (and not work as well to direct the air!).

Before pulling the center vent, make sure you have a long 4.5 mm hex
wrench (Harbor Freight sells one as part of a metric T-handle set for
$10 or so) to release the lever that controls the main fresh air flap.
 The center vent is a friction fit on the left and held by one screw
on the right which is hidden and accessible only after you remove the
glove compartment.  The frame is metal but the body of the vent is
plastic and just as easy to break as the side vents.  Watch out for
the bulb and don't short the wires leading to it with the battery
hooked up, unless you want to blow the secret "red fuse" hidden behind
the instrument panel.  (Although if you are taking the whole dash
apart, a good job to do at the same time would be to not only change
all the bulbs in the instrument panel but also the red fuse, and
repaint the gauge needles.)

Can't think of anything else right now.  I haven't actually had to R &
R the dash in any of my 124s yet (knock on wood), but have done some
of the preliminary work as the above suggests.  I'd strongly suggest
that you get in touch with Dave Meimann, who hangs out on Rusty's web
forum and at the 500ecstasy.com site.  He's done this job more than
once and probably has some helpful tips.  (Tell him I sent you---he is
a big '87 300D fan and found mine for me.)

Alex Chamberlain
passel of 124s