Yes, that is my point exactly.  Design engineers that don't
understand materials and processes and fabrication procedures are bound to
a. over build, wasting time and materials
b. make costly or deadly mistakes
c get lucky or be on a team of people with the materials, process and
fabrication expertise, and actually listen.

One of my examples of integration of design, function, materials,
processes, fabrication, functionality and yes, even beauty is the
frame on my BMW R75/5.  I don't think it has an extra ounce of
material, yet it is incredibly light, strong, functional durable, and
to my eyes, a work of art.  I had mine painted with a 2 stage
aircraft paint over 30 years ago, when clearcoat was unheard of
except in the aircraft business.  It is still a work of art
IMHO.  There are MB related examples also.

Why should shop guys have to fix or hide the errors of incompetent
engineers?  Again, I am not flaming engineers, just pointing out the
weakness of many I have come across.  I am myself an engineer,
although i have never wanted the P.E. ball and chain of legal
responsibility.  There are many competent engineers.  It is, if
anything, a condemnation of engineering curriculum in college.

My point is that an engineer who has a good understanding of
materials, process and manufacturing will make better decisions.  And
yes, I am biased.  I taught material and processes and manufacturing
at the college level for several years.  If even a student engineer
is going to attempt to make welds on a vehicle, they jolly well ought
to make enough practice welds to become somewhat competent before
attempting a weld on a vehicle.  To me that case was irresponsibility
of the (engineering) faculty advisor.

I learned to weld under an Ex WWII Marine and later ex DI.  He taught
us to weld.  All the students hated him, but I loved the class
because he had no tolerance for slackers.  Yes, I was scared of him
too, but he earned my respect, and later doled out compliments where
they were due.  I don't consider myself a welder, but if I am going
to make a weld, I will run practice beads until I get a tolerable
level down again. Yes, it was an engineering course,  Ag E to be
exact.  Yes, they dropped the course when Andy retired from the
university.  Engineering students for the last 15-20 years don't
learn to weld by requirement.  Some still do on their own.  My
favorite Aerospace Engineer is a guy who was first an A&P
mechanic.  I am confident knowing there are guys like him designing
commercial aircraft.

I am in awe of Jim Cathey.  Jim is to me a consummate engineer.  A
competent designer in his specialty, and a tinkerer in all other
areas of mechanics/physics/engineering.  Not arrogant.

At 01:33 AM 5/15/2008, you wrote:
> > I didn't see one decent weld on the whole tube
> > frame.  Those guys are practicing engineers today.  Scary!
>
>As a rule, engineers don't tend to do the welding on the
>products they design professionally.  We have people for that!
>
>I have personally made some of the worst welds I've ever seen.
>But I try not to let that take the fun out of it!
>
>-- Jim

Loren Faeth