I think the data he gets comes from the older cars...  With the newer
engines that are more efficient and have tighter clearances it might
(should) be different.  I've seen oil analysis from multiple OM60x
engines going 10k miles or more with the oil analysis being just fine.

My owners manual states 13k miles as well.  I don't think we're the only
two changing them at 13k mile intervals either ;)

John