Randy wrote: "Old friend has an 86 Buick Electra that he wants to sell.
He wants $2K. I told him it was a $500 car."

86 has the 3.8 engine that was the precursor to the real 3800 (that came out in
88).  It is a good engine, but the common failure on the 86-87 3.8 engine was
the timing chain.  They had plastic gears and a plastic guide that would fail.
With 115,000 miles, you probably have some timing chain noise.  I had a 1985
Olds 98 (essentially the same car as the electra) and the timing chain was
making noise. It is not hard to fix.  Except, it is easiest to remove the front
cv axle to get yourself access to the front cover, so you will have to have it
aligned afterwards.  86 also did not have the new harmonic balancer that came
out in 88.  The other potential problem is the transmission - just make sure
the fluid has been changed frequently enough.  Pull the pain.  The common
failure on them is a plastic part that will break off and end up in the band.
It looks like a clutch band but it isn't.  I think in 86 the went to the
distributorless ignition (85 still had a distributor).

These really are good cars. Check the transmission, listen for timing chain
noise, and check the cv boots. Assuming all of these things check out, you
probably have a good car.  The only typical things that fail are alternators
and water pumps.  Neither one is that hard to replace.  86 might have the old
style alternator with the bigger bearing (you can also rebuild the old style
alts).   The motor mounts and transmission mounts also go bad on a car that
old.  The motor mounts are not hard, the transmission mount is pretty easy.
You can tell they are bad if the transmission feels like it bangs into reverse.

They also have a crank sensor that failed. GM had three updates and only the
last one worked.  I would think that after 22 years, this car has gotten the
new one. The bearings also go bad on the blower motor.  It will start squealing
on hard turns with the vent/a/c on.  They are cheap and VERY easy to replace.
Just push the tabs on the glove box and the whole thing will slide down and the
blower motor is right there.

As far as price, $2000 is too much and $500 is too low for one with such low
mileage.  Up to $1200 or so would be what I would try to pay.

I just paid $500 for my 90 Buick LeSabre with 185,000 miles.

Donald H. Snook