On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:30:59 +0200 "Peter Merle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Discovered my block has a normal core plug where the threaded block
> heater should go . I guess those engined destined to warmer climates did
> not have an option to mount a heater

No, all the blocks are the same. The ones that have no block heater from
the factory have a large threaded plug (with a 19 mm hex hole in the
center) placed where the block heater goes. Take it out with an allen
wrench and extension and put the block heater in.

I don't recall exactly what the picture you posted earlier of a block
heater looks like, but I think it was of the wrong thing.

Attached is a picture of the block heater I installed in our OM617. It's a
rather difficult job with the engine in the car (I did it on a '72 220D/8,
OM615). I did this one before I installed the engine in our W123, changing
it from a 240D to a 300D.

Craig