Manfred wrote: "I don't think it was the torque value. It is due to the hard
foam piece that holds the top end of the plug in the socket to keep it from
falling out. If you pull on the wrench handle and don't keep the socket or
extension straight in relation to the plug, with some down force at the wrench
head as you pull up on the handle, then the foam will transfer the pressure to
the insulator and break it."

That is a good point.  When I put the new ones on, I made sure to pull the
wrench off straight.

Donald H. Snook