I just got back from KC to pick up a 86 190D.  Supposedly ran, but
possible bad trans, body and interior in good shape.  I get there, only
to not be able to find the house because its in the boonies and not
marked.  I find what I suspect is the right driveway and try to call the
people.  (not going to go down some wierd driveway that I dont know what
is down there).  Cant get ahold of them.  They guy comes by going to
that driveway and I ask him if he knows where these people are, he
doesnt.  They finally call me back, and its the right drive.  Huh, why
didnt this guy who was going to their house put 2 and 2 together.  So
this wife is doing the selling of the car.  The husband does not appear
to know anything about anything.  She was out of town.  So he takes me
down to where the car is (which I think was his fathers land) to see the
car.  We go past what I assume was his fathers house to get to the car,
there was a truck in the drive which I later assumed was his fathers
truck.  More about that later.  So I get to the car and discover its
actually a 85, not an 86.  I also discover it has huge rust holes where
the jack points should be. Large rats nest under the hood, and will
probalby need rewiring like I just went thru on my other 190D.  So I
tell the old boy that the car is not as described so my orginal offer
would be lowered by x amount of dollars.  He says its his fathers car
and his father said to sell it for x amount (which I offered before).
He said I drove all that way yada yada yada, I guess he figured I would
just pay anyway and not go home empty handed. I then ask about the key,
which was not in the car.  I said I had a battery with me could see if
it ran like they said it was supposed to.  He didnt know anything about
the key.  He says call wife, I call her, she didnt know anything about
the key either, but will call the father in law.  Keep in mind we just
past was I assume the fathers house.  They cant get ahold of him.  So, I
told the guy (kid really), well I have wasted enough of my time and
money on this trip, sorry it didnt work out and left. Fathers truck was
not at the house anymore. you would think knowing I was showing up to
get the car all these dumb asses would have got their crap together.  If
htye had a key, surely I would have made some kind of deal with them.

I guess I learned my lesson, next time investigate more before going on
a car buying trip.  I should have known days ago, in emailing the wife
about the car she said father in law knew more about it and she should
have him call me.  He never did.  Oh well.  2nd bad car deal I have had
this weekend.  Went to the auction Saturday and bid and won a 93 chevy
3500 crew cab diesel for a fairly good deal.  Was kind of beat up but
would have made a good beater truck.  $1400.  Was sold with a phone call
meaning it didnt meat the selling dealers reserve, so after the bidding
they call the seller to see if they will take it or what.  Nope, they
wanted 3k for it.  WAY too much.  I passed.  Waisted the whole damn
weekend chasing my tail.  Win some, loose some.  Guess Im getting
paybacks for that super deal I got on that wagon last week with the #17
head.
--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 89 560SEL,