I lost all respect (sorry, Donald) for attorneys when I saw my attorney and
my ex's attorney sitting at a cafeteria table and laughing it up over cups
of coffee during a recess of my divorce proceedings. They weren't protecting
anyone's interests -- they were simply parroting what was already laid out
in Virginia code (i.e., property settlement) and were probably comparing
billable hours. They had no more concern about assisting either of us than
you will have about getting up tomorrow morning and taking a leak. It was
pure assembly line, with everyone having his hands in the back pockets of
those they were supposed to be representing. The only reason they exist is
because they are allowed to appear before the Court, where you and I aren't
(unless we are in criminal court and decide to represent ourselves). The
only advice my ex's attorney gave her was to try to provoke me into
assaulting her (she tried but I as able to side-step everything -- which is
maybe why I do what I do for a living now, natural instincts when working
with out-of-control individuals). The only advice my attorney gave me was to
throw my wife and children out onto the street, force sale the house and
split the profits. (I refused, saying that she could just have the house for
the sake of the two kids -- they had gone through enough trauma already
without suddenly being homeless.)

--
LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/