Most cell sites (nodes) have battery backup that is
good for several hours at full load.  Most of the
larger carriers, like AT&T, Verizon and Sprint either
have small propane powered standby sets at their sites
or are putting them in.  Because of the increased
subscriber base for phone service with many cable
providers, there is a push for them to have backup
power for their systems as well.  I worked on a
project at Kohler that used a 5kW propane powered set
that provided battery charging to a cable system UPS
that was part of a distribution cabinet.

One of our biggest customers is AT&T, who currently
has a national program through Generac that is placing
standby power at all of their sites.  In Indiana alone
that is nearly 300 sites, and we maintain all of
them....

Dan