> only other option is very high resistance wiring or the shaft
> bearings are so bad they have allowed the shaft to contact the pickup.

The pickup is a coil hiding behind a thin aluminum wall
at the rear of the shaft.  If the shaft had chewed its
way to the coil methinks it would no longer hold refrigerant.

I think the problem is electrical.  Either the coil is
shorted internally, or something else along that line
is wrong externally.  A few shorted turns internal to
the coil would still ohm out OK, but would short out
any induced voltage.  (An inductance tester would detect
this, if you had one.)  I believe the coil plug can be
replaced, but I don't know if one can get them other
than off some other compressor.

You could measure the resistance between the Klima's
tachometer pins.  It should not be particularly low,
certainly not low enough to short out all the signal.

-- Jim