On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Peter Frederick wrote:
>> You need a pickup to haul stuff...
>
> In Europe they do just fine without. Trailers instead of trucks
> mostly,

Exactly. I have a $600 "Snowbear" utility trailer I bought from Home
Depot. It has a 3/4 ton capacity, a 5 X 8 bed, and you can lower the
headgate and tailgate in 15 seconds and have a 12 1/2 x 5 flatbed
trailer. The tongue tilts and the axle can be moved to multiple
positions. It's light and tows easily. You can haul a vast amount of
stuff in it--much more than a pickup, as it's lower and can be
stacked higher, plus that 12+ long bed.  Plus, it's much lower to the
ground and easier to load, and more maneuverable--you can hand-
maneuver it in all kinds of places, then either hand-push or hook-and-
pull it out. Mine moves many, many tons of everything from used
asphalt to fine furniture to machinery to brush to firewood per year,
and costs me virtually nothing. It's been from Iowa to Maine 4 times.
I pull it with either a turbodiesel vanagon westfalia (70 hp) or an
86 S-10 (92 hp). You don't need lots of power or a large, fuel-
gulping vehicle to haul huge amounts of stuff--torque and gears do
just fine. The trailer and vanagon have an unbelievably large
capacity when used in tandem--easily 3 or 4 long-bed pickups worth,
and still gets in the low twenties with both packed to capacity (and
the vanagon is rated for a ton). When you're not using it, it costs
nothing in fuel or insurance. And, you can leave it where it's needed
to be loaded or unloaded, unhitch, and avoid carrying stuff around
with you that you don't need to.

Dan