I bought a pristine 1970 108 sedan in Virginia about
10 years ago.  Flew in to the Norfolk airport and the
estate attorney met me at the airport with the car.
Had a bill of sale and Florida tags (registered to
another car that I was going to transfer to the 108.)

Drove cross-country to I-95 through a bunch of little
cow towns.  Wile driving through one of them, I got
pulled over by the local gendarmes.  They made me exit
the car and put my hands on the roof while they
searched the cabin and got my paperwork and license.
I refused to let them search the trunk because I was
pissed, despite it being empty (I had gone through it
before departing to make sure there wasn't anything in
it I didn't want...)

They were less than nice and refused to respond to my
questions about being stopped.  I asked what probable
cause they had and said that I wanted to call my
attorney.  That seemed to piss them off even more.

After about 15 minutes of tension while they searched
and called in my ID, they literally tossed my
paperwork back in the car and told me I could go,
without even a "sorry" or explanation of why they
stopped me.

They happened to pull me over in the Micky D's parking
lot, so I locked the car and went in to get a cold
beverage.  Naturally, many of the eyes in the place
were on me when I came in, since this all unfolded in
front of the clientele.  I asked the girl at the
counter what was with the local cops, and she just
chuckled and said, "Look at your license plate."

"Yes?"

"It's from Florida."

"So?"

"This is a major corridor for drug traffic.  The local
cops get their jollies by stopping almost every car
with a Florida plate to search it for drugs."

<sigh>

Needless to say, I doubt I'll travel in that part of
VA again...

Dan