KML handling is a bit specific in Merkaartor 0.17.

1)  KML is not considered as tracks, but rather as features like SHP.
2), to avoid licensing issue with unauthorized google imports, the built-in
KML import only imports nodes, not roads
3) To bypass 2) you can rename your .kml and then force an import. GDAL will
then be used as last resort, recognize a KML and import it as a SHP.

I'll probably remove any KML specifics in 0.18. KML will then be handled the
same as SHP.

- Chris -