I think  it's used in the modeling of nuclear explosions. The
calculations and creation of formula's that accurately matche the
data gathered about explosions from tests done prior to the test
bans. Accounting for all of the variables that go into this kind of
problem are immense and the variables change dynamicly during the
whole process.

Then there is also keeping track of the decay rates of the
fissionable material. Each warhead has multiple bombs, each bomb
varies slightly in mass. With decay occurring at a constant rate. How
does the decaying affect this materail? At which point will the
likelyhood of the material not functioning happen. At this point it's
time to dismantle or replace.