> >When I was working with some of the first digital designs in the
> >100-600 MHz range over 25 years ago...
>
> Oops. I don't know if this is an extra-zeroes issue or a "M"
> instead of a
> "K" or what, but just 10 years ago 1 MHz was good and 7 MHz
> was high end.
> 25 years ago, I very much doubt they were bandying about
> 600MHz anything,
> since we're only just reaching the 600MHz level now at the
> end of the 1990s!
>
> [Excessive quoted material snipped]

[Excessive signature snipped 8-]

Eh?  My first job after finishing my DPhil was microcoding a AMD-2900 series
bit slice machine which had a 25ns (40MHz) clock.  That was in 1983 and it
was far from rocket science then.  Actually, I started (unpaid) work on it a
couple of years earlier, so we're actually talking about 18 years ago.

The good old 1970's Cray-1 had a 9ns (110MHz) clock if I remember correctly.

*Twenty* years ago, a 4MHz Z80A was a commodity chip.  I still have a 1979
model 380Z from Research Machines with that very cpu.  (Incidentally, RM is
one of the few companies of that era still making PCs.)

I can't remember when I bought my 25MHz 386, but it must be approaching 10
years ago.

Paul