Mersenne Digest            Saturday, 6 March 1999       Volume 01 : Number 521

From: "Brian J Beesley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:19:45 GMT
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Re: Mersennes for Martians

Yesterday I wrote:

> [... snip ...] I believe the
> Chudnovskys (apologies if I've misspelled their name) had
> dedicated hardware that could do a 2^20 bit by 2^20 bit
> multiplication in less than a microsecond, about 15 years ago.
> (Reference, "The Joy of Pi")

Oops. When I went to check this reference (which I knew was in
something I'd read recently) I found it wasn't in "The Joy of Pi".
However, I found in Knuth vol 2 (3rd ed) p311 reference to "Little
Fermat", a general-purpose computer built by the Chudnovskys in
1985 which could multiply 2 million-bit integers in less than 0.1 sec.

I'm a lot less impressed - most of those of us running mprime,
Prime95 etc. will be doinf rather better than this on cheap
commercial PCs at the moment!

Sorry for the misinformation