Mersenne Digest            Tuesday, 9 March 1999       Volume 01 : Number 525

From: "David J. Fred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:09:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Re: Alien stuff

  >From: Lars Soezueer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  >
  >There have been many attempts to construct such languages.
  >I am not aware of any of these projects to be
  >especially designed for communication with aliens.

This is getting a little far afield, but...

Chapter 26 of David Kahn's "The Codebreakers," revised and updated
1996, touches on several proposed systems.

One called Lincos was created by Dr. Hans Freudenthal of the
University of Utrecht in the late '50s.  Lincos stands for lingua
cosmica.  The language was fully fleshed-out in a book by
Dr. Freudenthal called "Lincos: Design of a Language for Cosmic
Intercourse," North-Holland Publishing, 1960.

Another system was proposed by Lancelot Hogben in the early '50s at
the request of the British Interplanetary Society.  His was called
Astraglossa and was discussed in "The Journal of the British
Interplanetary Society," IX (November 1952).

It is not entirely clear that either of these would actually be
practical language systems as described, but it is evident that work
has been done in this general direction.

Regards,

David

- --
Unofficial GIMPS Graphical Status Page -- http://ic.net/~djf/mers/