On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 10:05:06AM +0000, Brian J Beesley wrote:
> (1) I don't see why you can't eliminate the networked P90 by
> adding hard disk etc. to one of the other systems & using that as
> an NFS server / HTTP proxy.

I already had the P90 installed with all the necessary networking support
(two network cards, HTTP proxy, and so on). It was already there, why not
use it? Besides, it's doing factoring. :)

> (2) 32MB DRAM is a bit stingy - as FFT size grows, so does the
> memory requirement - and it's a bit silly to run with swap space on
> a remote-mounted disk. I'd spend a few dollars extra & go for 64MB
> DRAM.

Here's the memory usage line from 'top' on one of the machines:

Mem:   31184K av,   7848K used,  23336K free,   4032K shrd,      4K buff
Swap:      0K av,      0K used,      0K free                  1796K cached

With 23 MB of 32 MB free, I don't think I'm going to run into memory
constraints anytime soon.

> 3) Some motherboards complain bitterly if they find no graphics
> adapter at boot time. Either you don't have this problem, or you
> have real cheap VGA adapters fitted.

I have one cheap VGA adapter that I used to set up the machines. The
motherboard I'm using (ABIT BH6) doesn't complain if there is no video.
It beeps a couple of times on startup, but otherwise has no problem with it.

Greg Hewgill