Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's supportive comments and suggestions.  Your
dedicated participation and positive outlook are at the heart of this
project's success.

Retesting will go quickly:

The virtual machine has slowed about 25 gigaflops from 550 to absorb
the bug hit, but this should be offset by at least a factor of 2 in
the next 2 weeks by the 1050 people who joined in the last 7 days.  It
should then notch back upward past 600 gigaflops within 3 weeks, maybe
as high as 620 in week 4.  Partly cloudy, then clearing to fair skies
late in the month.  I could be way wrong, but it's fun to test my
mental model this way.

> > Would I be right in assuming that Primenet keeps track of
> > which version was used to check in a certain result?
>
> Scott can answer this best.  He may not be able to tell if a result
> was finished by v17 and started by v16.

PrimeNet now has both algorithm and version for each client and each
exponent.  The versions are being populated as each client contacts
the server, and reflect only the *last* client to do so.  Formerly,
only the algorithm was recorded.  I don't recall why we never captured
version data other than in the logs.

Early sampling of Australia, Asia, Africa and Europe suggests we are
about half way through upgrading to v18.1, but that might be
over-optimistic as those are roughly 40% of the machines on PrimeNet.
The other 60% are in the Americas, and most have not checked in yet
today.  We should have a fairly solid estimate in a week or so.

> It would be very helpful if there were a way to request,
> from the Primenet server, a list of machines and the
> version reported by their last result.  This would make
> administration of more than a few machines much easier.
> Any possibility of this?

PrimeNet account reports now show any known v17 clients.  v18 will not
appear as they did in the stopgap report change yesterday.

> Could we not credit those users who have had their
> intermediate files wiped as a result of updating to
> v18 for the work carried out up to the last time
> they checked in the exponent to PrimeNet?

Certainly.  We are doing so on PrimeNet's accounts, as you suggested,
in proportion to percent (or iteration ratio) complete.  So far, it
has only been as requested or at our urging for the very disappointed.

> Scott, if there's any way you could send me a description
> of the log file format, (and perhaps a small extract), I
> could look at writing a program which you could use to do
> the processing, but I won't be able to look at it
> for a week or two.

Couldn't hurt to try.  Brian, please email me privately when you have
a few days.

Best regards,
scott