At 09:10 PM 11/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Have you sent a single message about mersenne primes, distributed
>computing, or large numbers to the mersenne list?

Yes. A few.

>(you seem to be arguing against the system you use, incidentally)

I freely admit that I use Windoze and that Windoze hasmore than its fair
share of problems. I am planning to migrate to Linux when certain
circumstances permit. (1. I am planning to get a 1.5gig removable media
drive when I can afford it. Then I can move alot of less-often-used data
off my hd onto disks and will have the space for Linux. 2. Linux versions
of ICQ and a few other programs I use need to come out.)

>how the list is run

That is on topic. On any newsgroup or list, comments about the newsgroup
orlist are on topic. Usually such things are marked [meta].

>And what makes you think that you've been singled out for 'special
>negative treatment'?  I dislike every off-topic post equally.

I never implied otherwise. Someone however seemed to have the idea that
some people ought to be particularly maligned (I think the word "newbies"
was used) if they post off-topic. This is not very egalitarian. I think all
people should be treated equal with respect to off-topic posting.

--
   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a