Mersenne Digest          Thursday, 28 January 1999     Volume 01 : Number 501

From: "Ernst W. Mayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:10:27 -0500
Subject: Mersenne: Meganet's alleged fast primality prover

Some folks at an outfit called Meganet Corporation claim to have
developed a rigorous primality prover that runs as fast a pseudoprime test.
See their ballyhooing at http://www.meganet.com/primality.htm.

An excerpt:

                MAJOR WORLDWIDE MATHEMATICAL
                BREAKTHROUGH MEGANET CORPORATION
                DEVELOPED FAST 100% DETERMINISTIC PRIME
                NUMBER TESTING. IT IS THE ONLY
                DETERMINISTIC ALGORITHM IN THE WORLD
                TO WORK IN POLYNOMIAL TIME.

                Meganet Corporation have announced the result of 13
                years of Research & Development in the prime number
                testing area the world's first and only POLYNOMIAL
                TIME, 100% DETERMINISTIC PRIMALITY
                TESTING. It is NOT a probabilistic test like the other
                algorithms in the market, but 100% deterministic. The
                algorithm is in POLYNOMIAL TIME, therefore much
                faster than even the probabilistic algorithms. Meganet
                Corporation have implemented the algorithm in an
                ANSI C application running on a single CPU 450 MHz
                PC Computer. Some sample results:

                1,000 bits primality test       {timing obscured}
{snip}
                7,000 bits primality test       1:01min
                10,000 bits primality test      1:58min

                Those results are unheard of. The 1,000 bits test on a
                Sparc II workstation takes 5 Minutes and it is still only
                PROBABALISTIC. The gap in time is much greater for
                larger bit sizes.

                The major breakthrough is solving a 400 year old
                mathematical problem how to positively identify a
                prime number without spending exponential time in
                dividing the number by all the primes up to its root. The
                solution Meganet Corporation have developed is based
                on a newly designed Mathematical Sequence called the
                T-Sequence. Once a number is transformed to the
                T-Sequence, its quadratic residue has definitive
                characteristics if it's a prime number that can be easily
                determined in polynomial time by performing a binary
                decomposition.

                Meganet Corporation would like to emphasize that there
                is a 100% mathematical proof behind their T-Sequence,
                and further, it is a complete working product tested
                successfully on over 1.3 million numbers without a single
                mistake.

Of course they won't give out any details about the maths behind the method,
assuring us that a licensed practical mathematician is evaluating their claims,
which seems to fall a tad short of normal peer review. As Paul Jobling noted
in a posting to Chris Caldwell's Primes-List:

>I sent a mail to Meganet regarding their primality proving claims and
>received the following reply:

>>Hi,The Meganet Primality Test is currently being evaluated by a reputable
>>mathematician - when he'll finish his evaluation and endorse it (in about 2
>>weeks) we'll make it public.
>>We'll notify you by email and publish it on the web site.
>>Thank you for your interest in Meganet.

To which Mark Coffey replied:

>Three things about this statement by Meganet strike me as intersting:
>1) They did not see fit to name the "reputable mathematician"
>2) They already know that he will finish testing in two weeks
>3) They already know that he will endorse the test
>
>Oh and I guess a fourth would be the horrendous grammar in their reply.

I also note that near the bottom of the page, they make a statement that
seems to indicate theirs is in fact a probable-prime test (issues of
grammar aside):

                Meganet Corporation is seeking for companies
                interested in this algorithm which generates large
                industrial grade prime numbers at record speeds, and
                would be glad to demonstrate the technology to any
                interested party on request.

Does anyone know more about the "400-year-old problem" they mention,
which would allow us to better judge the likelihood that their method
is rigorous? (I have my doubts.)

- -Ernst