Mersenne Digest           Sunday, 31 January 1999      Volume 01 : Number 503

From: Leu Enterprises Unlimited <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:42:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Problems with ATI graphics

Ditto on Aaron's excellent comments. I've added some of my own.

> From: "Aaron Blosser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:33:52 -0600
> Subject: RE: Mersenne: Problems with ATI graphics
>
> > 2) I don't think heat is the problem.  The problems start within 5-10
> > seconds of starting prime and stop as soon as prime is halted.
>
> Then we can say it's related with some certainty.

I've actually measured the heat put off by mprime. The above observations
are completely consistant with how the CPU heats up.

> > 3) The on-board ATI graphics chip is about 2 cm away from the Slot1,
> > directly underneath the CPU's big heat sink.
>
> That's *way* too close, I would think.

Good lord, yes. For most cards, they might be OK. But don't forget that
some video cards can put off a good deal of heat themselves.

> One good test would be to use any other program that uses the FPU alot and
> see if the flicker shows up.  Can anyone think of another program that
> would?  I suppose any benchmark that tests FLOPS should do the trick.

Another good test would be memtest86. I've put a copy of it up on
supercomputer.org's download section, for both Windows and Linux users.

It will generate about 2C more heat than mprime/prime95 running the
torture test. And this doesn't use the FPU.

To get the maximum amount of heat, use memtest86 in cache mode.

        -dwight-

To learn how to build a supercomputer for under $10,000 visit
        www.supercomputer.org