Hi,

At 07:35 PM 2/26/99 -0800, Spike Jones wrote:
>How about sweetening the pot for anyone who is doing double checking
>that discovers a mistake in the first LL analysis?  How does this work?
>The first LL test returns a residual, then the double checking
>routine takes that residual and...  what?  How often is a result
>overturned by double checking?

>From your point of view a double-check is just like a first time test.
You run a Lucas-Lehmer test and when done send in your 64-bit residue.
I compare that residue to the first run and if they match, the exponent
is declared double-checked.  If they don't match, a third test is run
to properly double-check the number.

Finding an error in the first LL test is not rare.  I've said about 1 in
200 are incorrect.  When the entire 1,400,000 - 2,000,000 range has
been double-checked I'll perform some more rigorous analysis of the
reliability of first-time LL results.

Best regards,
George