> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> To stop Prime95 Ver 18 from crashing while not connected to the
> Internet, I
> have to use rcpnet.dll from Ver 17. I never had any problem until Ver 18.
>
> James Griffin

Hmmm..well...

I take it back.  Leave RPCNET.DLL in then :-)

I had problems with RPC in v17 and v18 where it would crash when contacting
Primenet and no network connection was detected.

The big problem, I noticed, were machines with network cards that will
refuse to start when no network cable is connected, such as the Intel E100B
cards.

Other NIC's like those from 3Com will still initialize if no network link is
found, and when a connection is attempted, RPC doesn't crash.

Maybe for some of you folks, HTTP is doing the same thing?

My laptop for instance uses a 3Com PCMCIA card and doesn't crash with RPC,
but other laptops I've seen with other PC cards do crash with the RPC
(sorry...I forgot what brand those cards were...Xircom or Megahertz maybe?)

But it seems to only affect NIC's that see a broken network link and shut
themselves down.

You can tell if your network card does this...

If your Windows 95/98 machine is set to logon to a domain and normally stops
to ask for a password, even with no network cable plugged in, your card
doesn't care.

If your machine boots and skips right past the logon prompt when no cable is
connected, your network card deactivated itself and Windows didn't see any
reason to bother having you logon since there's no network.  Normally with
NIC's like that, you need to reboot the machine after plugging in the
network cable in order to see anything.  Really annoying.  That's why I'll
stick with 3Com cards, thank you very much. :-)

Just my network engineering mode kicking in.  I so rarely get to comment on
cool algorithms for LL tests, so this is my way of contributing to the cause
:-)

Aaron