"Foghorn Leghorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> observes:

> At Paul Zimmerman's ECM page,
   > http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/records/ecmnet.html
> the optimal B1 value listed for finding 50-digit factors is 43000000, but
> George's ECM factoring page uses 44000000 for the same purpose. Is one of
> them wrong, or is there a reason for the difference?

    If I count the zeros right, these are 43 million and 44 million.
The function being minimized, namely

probability of finding a 50-digit factor on one curve, given that such exists
                             time per curve

is flat near its minimum.  Implementation and platform differences
can obviously affect the denominator (time per curve).
The stage-2 strategy affects the numerator.  The two optimal B1's
are close enough to be considered the same.