Mersenne Digest          Friday, May 21 1999          Volume 01 : Number 562

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:47:48 -0400
From: Jud McCranie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Monitor Flicker on Dell P-II 450 MHz

At 02:52 PM 5/18/99 -0600, Aaron Blosser wrote:

>So basically, it's just a poorly designed box.  That's what you get for
>buying Dell, but that's just my opinion :-)

I've got 3 Dells, and I've run prime95 on at least two of them and I never had
the problem.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:19:14 -0700
From: Joe Decker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Aaron Blosser wrote:
> If the problem were pervasive in many applications, I'd waste no time in
> calling Dell and asking for a fix.  As it is, if only FPU intensive apps
> cause the problem, they probably wouldn't care.

It's not pervasive, and even other floating-point-intensive ops don't
trigger the problem, to my eyes, as badly as prime95.  But I do see
the effect a bit in other apps.  I doubt I would have noticed it in
anything but prime95, however.

> If it's radiated interference, maybe some good copper braiding
> around the CPU would help, tied to ground.  Or around the graphics
> circuitry.  But again, if the problem is interference on the wiring, you're
> SOL.  Send 'em back and get Compaqs! :-)

...or a separate video card.

- --Joe