On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Jud McCranie wrote:
> At 11:30 AM 6/6/99 -0600, Aaron Blosser wrote:
>
> >I suppose it depends on whether Moore's Law can continue to hold true.  I'm
> >not so sure that we can keep doubling speeds of processors every 18 months
> >as predicted...
>

> That's often stated, but it hasn't been holding true.  We are a factor of about
> 65,000 short of where we should be - if it was true.  Moore actually said "18
> to 24 months", but most everyone says "18".  Anyhow, I did a test on it from
> 1971 to 98, and it actually averaged about 26 months for the doubling time (and
> it was slowing).
Was that doubling based on clock speeds, or actual processing power?
Clockspeeds are useless for comparing processors, even among processors of
the same type.
Case in point, I've seen a 350MHz P-II system that's more than 1.5 times
as fast as a 300MHz P-II system for NFS calculations, because the former
is a 100MHz*3.5, and the latter is 66MHz*4.5, making the memory access for
the first system a lot faster.

--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/