Mersenne Digest         Tuesday, June 8 1999         Volume 01 : Number 570

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:01:43 +0200
From: "Steinar H. Gunderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Re: Mersenne Digest V1 #568

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 10:07:15PM -0700, Mersenne Digest wrote:
>        Kevin Sexton
>        37% done with 5315483 after nearly finishing on v.17

If you would like credit for it, you could always contact Scott. From what
I've seen, he's nice when it comes to that part :-) (Well, nice in general...)

>If what you say is true, then whoever designed version 17 acted in a
>completely unconscionably rash manner by releasing it without thoroughly
>testing it for problems as serious as that. And has therefore shot the whole
>GIMPS effort in the foot by setting it back many weeks.
>
>Hopefully, realization of the impact on GIMPS is punishment enough to make
>sure this won't happen again...

While trying not to continue the flaming (or overreacting), I must
point out that the GIMPS QA team was formed after (and because of) the v17
bug. We have learned from our mistakes, and there is absolutely nothing more
we can do now. Being angry won't help now :-) (As for the source, it has
always been freely available, at least it was when I joined long before
PrimeNet, when my Cyrix 6x86 was counted as a 486/1353...)

Now, back to studying for my oral exam...

/* Steinar */