David Willmore writes:

>> 2) Was it Intel that bought the Alpha rights?  It might have been IBM but
>> was NOT Compac.
>
>2) Yes, it was Compaq.  Intel bought foundry technology that is used on the
>StrongARM as well as the StrongARM archetecture itself.

>From Business Wire
June 14, 1999 18:39

Lucent Technologies Licenses ARM9E Processor
Core for Mass Storage Applications

ALLENTOWN, Pa. and CAMBRIDGE, UK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 14,
1999--ARM (LSE:ARM and NASDAQ:ARMHY) and Lucent Technologies
(NYSE: LU) Microelectronics Group, the world's leading communications
semiconductor business, today announced that Lucent has licensed the
ARM9E(tm) processor core to provide a high-performance, open-architecture
processor platform in its next-generation systems-on-a-chip (SoCs) for mass
storage applications.
[snip]
Lucent will integrate the processor core in ICs fabricated in the company's
COM-1 (0.25-micron) and COM-2 (0.16-micron) modular process technologies,
achieving processor clock speeds exceeding 200MHz. The first ARM9E core
test chips along with evaluation systems are targeted for availability in the
fall
of 1999. Lucent will work with hard-drive systems manufacturers to integrate its

industry-leading read channel with the ARM9E core, disk controller circuitry
and memory into a single SoC.
ENDQUOTE
more at
http://www.companysleuth.com/framewrap.cfm?LOC=www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=Cn2r:qbKbyte2mtK&Module=news

That sounds like it would make a nice disk for my laptop. I wonder if I
could get it to do something in it's idle time? :-)

There does seem to be some prejudice against our elderly less able processors.
So what if it takes months for one task if there are enough of them. What
a lovely way for those 486s to spend their retirement years running Prime95.
I am guessing that the minima of the Price/Performance curve has not yet
touched Pentia. Maybe the best P/P is the Z80,  I am certain that it can
square and subtract 2 (still). This is not completely in jest. I am thinking
(dreaming) about a dedicated box of cheap processors (Gate Arrays even?)
that are nicely pipelined (and the other dimensions of parallelism) like the
EFFs DeepCrack.
Any thoughts?
Apologies if this is slightly off topic (tho' this can add depth and interest)
as this wouldn't be very distributed or internet - although I would reserve
the exponents for the machine via PrimeNet - or maybe I'll pick up one
of those small long overdue.... [only joking!]

Paul Landon