>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 17:53:11 -0500
>From: Ken Kriesel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Mersenne: Poachers beware
>
>I request that anyone running exponents that are not assigned to them
>by either the IPS or George Woltman pause, and ask George for a
>nonoverlapping assignment.

Absolutely agree. I kept quiet until now, but the more I have thought about
it, the more annoyed I got at what was done. I have already found one
prime, so my name is in the history books, I would have been extremely
p****ed off if a poacher had stolen my exponent and beat me to it.

I do not wish anyone to risk having this happen to them.

[snip]

> (In my darker moments, it occurs to me that this cpu
>farm would be powerful for factoring more fully, the LLtests of someone
>who's been poaching numbers assigned to others.)

I have access for a while to about 3 dozen quad P3-450 boxes. I had thought
about taking *ALL* the numbers that Aaron is running for his testing and
running them on these machines. So that when he checks them in, he finds
that they have all been tested already.....

BUT, I like your idea even better. Find a factor of numbers he has already
tested so that he *loses* the credit for those exponents. What a _great_
idea.....Now what was that url for the program to factor to 95 bits....

regards

finder of 36th Mersenne prime M2976221

Gordon Spence,                             Nokia IP Telephony
Applications Engineer                      Grove House, Waltham Way,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      White Waltham, Maidenhead,
http://www.nokiaiptel.com/                 Berkshire, SL6 3TN,  UK.
Office: +44 1628 827204                    GSM: +44 385 576623