Mersenne Digest          Sunday, May 16 1999          Volume 01 : Number 559

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 04:51:57 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Getting maximum speed out of a Linux machine

On Sun, 16 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With Win 9x, yes. I believe NT tends to allocate from the bottom up.

        Nope, NT is top down as well.  This caused an issue with early PII
chips as well, not only could they only cache 512M, but there was a bug in
the cache controller if you added more than 512 it would mirror the writes
below 512.  A PII with 768 ram, and the L2 enabled would crash before it
was able to blue screen.

> Are you _sure_ this is the case - most of my development was done under NT
> but I did check the effects were similar under 9x - also I thought that
> deficient chipsets, like TX, failed to cache _any_ memory once you went
> over the 64MB cacheable memory limit?

        Depands on the BIOS, a few disabled all L2 caching if more than 64
was present, however most mainboards (both VX and TX chipsets) simply
cache the first 64, and don't cache whatever else there is.

- ----
First Law of System Requirements:
     "Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about..."