> Now lets only focus on the set 2^p - 1 with p prime, i.e., the set
> of numbers that we are checking out at GIMPS. Has anyone proven that
> an infinite number these are NOT prime (this is VERY likely to be
> true)?

It's nice to be able to say this, but it is in the FAQ.  Check it out
at http://www.tasam.com/~lrwiman/FAQ-mers
The last three questions (those in section 4) are pertinate to these questions.

I would ask that before anyone sends a question to the list, please check
the FAQ if it deals with basic questions involving the following:
(1) Basics of a mersenne number (what is it, how many digits, etc...)
(2) The Lucas-Lehmer test (repeating LL remainders, modular arithmetic, etc...)
(3) Factoring Mersenne numbers (how is it done, how do we sieve, etc...
(4) Distribution of Mersenne primes and numbers (how many mersenne primes,
and how factors and mersenne primes are distributed)

If you still have questions after reading the relevant sections of the
FAQ, by all means send them to the list!!

Thank you,
Lucas Wiman