At 12:38 AM 7/13/99 -0400, Lucas Wiman wrote:

>Here are the percentages for the first 3000 powers of 2.  The first collumn
>is the percentage, the second is the difference from the predicted Benford
>percentage.  Weird, I would have thought that it wouldn't affect powers of
>two...

That's the type of thing that follows the law precisely in the long run.
(the repeated multiplications).  A way to look at this is to think of a
slide rule (if you remember them).  Anything that has a uniform
distribution on the slide rule follows Benford's law.  The distance from
1.0 to 2.0 on the slide rule is 0.301... of the length of the scale, etc.
A repeated multiplication by a number other than 0 or 1 gives a uniform
distribution along the scale of the slide rule.