Mersenne Digest        Saturday, July 31 1999        Volume 01 : Number 607

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:36:37 -0600
From: "Aaron Blosser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Average Machines

> Solving, we see that the average GIMPSter runs a machine that is
> never used
> for anything and is left constantly on for 24 hours a day with a P87.74
> processor. (Obviously by the machine tabulation above, the
> average GIMPSter
> runs a significantly faster computer, but doesn't leave it on for
> 24 hours a
> day). Eh? This is different than the old figure I remember. However, I
> calculated that BEFORE I knew how many computers GIMPS had. So,
> I'll redo the
> calculation based on accounts.
> 14033 (accounts) * P_MegaHerta = 2,039,958 P1.
> Solving here, we see that the average account is equivalent to a single
> machine running at full tilt with a P145.37 processor. That's
> more like it.
>
> If I've had a major brain drain in my calculations, feel free to
> correct my
> error on the list.

Without trying to think to hard about your estimate, I'll just pitch in by
saying it might be useful to count the number of computers who've checked in
recently (the past 2 months or so?) just to get an idea of how many of those
computer accounts are actually still running.

Primenet probably keeps track of every account/computer that ever
participated, regardless of whether it is *still* participating (although I
think the number in the status page shows only computers with an exponent
checked out).

A quick glance through the stats pages show that many accounts are long
overdue (about to expire their exponents).  Presumably these are folks who
joined GIMPS and got bored or something and removed it.  Oh well.

So I'm guessing the actual number of computers *still running* a GIMPS
client is less than what you used in your calculations.

Aaron