Bill Rea wrote:

> This is using MacLucasUNIX compiled with the Sun workshop compilers.

   Which version and which flags did you use?  I guess you ran
your tests under Solaris 7, right?

> (1) If I used the -xarch=v9
> option on those systems that support this option, the resulting
> binary runs slower on the tests than using -xarch=v8plusa.

   That's very strange!  I have benchmarked some code using both
flags (with -fast preprended) under Solaris 7 (which is required
to run code compiled with -xarch=v9) and v9 helped;  however the
code was purely 64-bit integer.

   There's also a very interesting flag to test that's not
documented in Sun cc doc:  -xinline=all.  I used it by error but
it did a great job with the code I was working on.

> (2) Differences in speeds on the tests supplied with the software
> don't translate into differences in speed when working on Mersenne
> numbers of the size above. Even with speed differences around 10%
> on the tests showed no discernable differences in practice.

   I don't know the tests supplied but the difference might result
from the way time is counted.  I think the best way to check the
speed of a code is to use getrusage for the process only
(RUSAGE_SELF) and to only take into account the user time.  This
way I get very consistent timings for the before mentioned code
(BTW, the code is ecdl by Robert Harley, used to crack ECC).

                Laurent