On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Chris Jefferson wrote:
> > On 14 Sep 99, at 7:22, Henrik Olsen wrote:
> >
> > > Personally I found installing and running it to be an extremely smooth
> > > operation, to the point where it takes less that 2 minutes to install on a
> > > new machine, including configuration, after which I just forget about it.
> >
> > Yes - I found the same thing - applies to both un*x & windoze
> > clients.
>
> Although I don't mean to insult anyone, this is exactly what I mean. I can
> install the program on a computer in 3 or 4 minutes. The problem is those
> people who can't... Also just one question. Was is it I sometimes see
> people write un*x instead of unix, which is I assume what they mean?
Un*x or the alternative *nix are used because Unix is a registered
trademark, originally by AT&T I belive, for a very specific OS.

Most people when talking about un*x are talking about a group of OS's
characterised by having (more or less) the same libraries, tools, security
model and directory structure, which means the look and feel is the same,
but the innards can be completely different, and it's only one of them
(modulo licensing agreements and other weirdness) that can be called Unix.

I hope this clears it up a bit.
--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/
Thomas Covenant: I am the savior of The Land.   Linden Avery: Can I help?