On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 03:01:43PM -0400, Darxus wrote:
>I have a question though.  Why make the Linux source dependant on code
>which needs to be assembled under DOS, when there is an assembler for
>Linux (as) ?

gas (which is the assembler Linux uses) uses a format quite differently
from NASM.

One thing is the reversal of args and other problems, like:

mov     [eax+ebx*4+4],4         (Intel syntax)

becomes

movl    $4,4(%eax,%ebx,4)       (AT&T syntax)

As you can see, converting will be a problem. I've done some of it
though, so if there is an interest, I might release my converter
program to the public.

>I would incourage you to release it under either
>the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html), or
>if you want to allow commercial use, the BSD license (which I'm
>significantly less familiar with).

I think the current scheme works well. The problem with adding a license,
is that we probably don't have the rights to add a lot of clauses. At least
lots of the algorithms we use are not developed by ourselves.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://members.xoom.com/sneeze/