At 09:36 AM 1999/09/23 -0700, Paul Leyland wrote:
>Hi Ken, that's a challenging project you're proposing.
>
>I'm very nearly tempted by this one, but the 6-year run time is a bit
>daunting.  In the past I've devoted months to a single factorization but
>I've no real idea what I'll be doing in six years time or what hardware I'll
>have access to.

To clarify, it is not a requirement that individual volunteers stay with
the project the full run-time of the exponents they're working on.
If/when quitting before completion, pass the intermediate file & interim
files on to those carrying on from there.

I've been hunting mersennes since 1985, so the odds are I'll stick with
it a while, barring major unexpected events.

>It's also not clear what the payback will be.

The payback is that known-results exponents in completely new territory
will be available against which any mersenne codes developed can be tested.
The odds are low, but it's a nonzero probability that a prime could be found
in the process.

>However, I've not yet completely ruled out volunteering, but need a bit more
>incentive and a bit more information.  For instance, how big are the files
>I'd need to keep around, and how many for how long?

(Note: file sizes appear to be the runlength size (ie: 112K = 114,688) x 4
plus 18 bytes for v18 and 22 bytes for v19)

For v19:
Exponent   FFT,K   Size of 1 save
Limit              file, bytes
1990000      96      393238
2323000     112      458774
2655500     128      524310
3290000     160      655382
3935000     192      786454
4598000     224      917526
5250000     256     1048598
6515000     320     1310742
7730000     384     1572886
9020000     448     1835030
10320000    512     2097174
12830000    640     2621462
15270000    768     3145750
17850000    896     3670038
20400000   1024     4194326
25330000   1280     5242902
30100000   1536     6291478
35100000   1792     7340054
40250000   2048     8388630
49900000   2560    10485782
59400000   3072    12582934
69000000   3584    14680086
79300000   4096    16777238

>Space, per se, is not a
>real problem (as long as it's not more than, say, 10Gb) but having to keep
>them safe for years means ensuring they are backed up and so forth.  When we
>did RSA-155 my contribution to the relations (about 1/6 of the total) took
>800Mb when compressed but needed to be preserved only for a couple of months
>and the copies at CWI acted as my backup, and vice versa.

To work a worst case example, 79,300,000 run at InterimFiles=1000000
would leave 80 copies (79 interims & the final) x 16MB or 1.3GB.
It isn't necessary that any one person among the testing volunteers store
more than a few exponents interim file sets, unless they are running
many exponents in parallel.

>Another question: how hard are you planning to try to factor Mersenne
>numbers?  With an effort you are planning, it would make sense to me to
>spend a cpu year or so trying to factor.

Right; we are factoring to the default v19 depth, enough exponents
to get at least 3 LL-testable candidates in each runlength.

>This *can* be trivially
>parallelized and I would be happy to contribute to this phase.  With the
>resources I have, I can spend a PII-400 year factoring every week or two.  I
>don't mind slipping in that much between my regular jobs.

Paul, I'll be sending you some candidate exponents to continue factoring to
the full depth.

Ken

Ken Kriesel, PE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>