(Note that the Subject: line refers to a small portion of my reply, not to the
original posting.)

Ian L McLoughlin writes:

>I have the idea that most people posting to the list are software
programmers.
>I am a humble chemist more into 2,4-Dihydroxybenzene or
antivirals..(Acyclovir??)

Hi, Ian: The first comment probably includes me. Regarding is the second -
until
a few years ago I was a humble Aerospace Engineer trying desperately to
scrounge
for scarce funding in my chosen specialty, theoretical & computational fluid
mechanics. I would have been perfectly content to just stick with my legal
pads
and modest computer resources and do some basic work (the kind that doesn't
need a million-dollar lab), but at most research-oriented engineering schools
all they care about is how much grant money one brings in. Then, a little over
three years ago, I noticed a little blurb about something called the "Great
Internet Mersenne Prime Search" in Science Magazine, and now, a scant few
years
later, life is very different for me. My job propsects are less certain, but
damn, I'm having fun. My research doesn't seem to have suffered, either - it's
just a lot more interesting, and nobody cares about less money for capital
building projects on my account.

In other words, people who psot to and read this list come from all sorts
of backgrounds, often ones which will surprise you. You are welcome here,
even if you don't intend to prove the generalized Riemann hypothesis.

>I must admit, I like Hilbert best of all...

Yeah, that Scott Adams, he writes a mean comic strip...oh, that's with
an H, you say? As in, Hilbert space...the final frontier.

>Perhaps somebody can write a programme for pure integer based
calculations.,???

As others have pointed out, these tend to be much slower than their
floating-point brethren, but all-integer is still interesting from a
theoretical
(and perhaps someday soo, practical) perspective. Richard Crandall has an all-
integer Nussbaumer convolution code for testing Fermat numbers which I think
is available at his website (www.perfsci.com). Jason Papadopoulos has created
a highly optimized version of same code for Pentium/Linux which may be of
interest ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). The latter code was used for the bulk of the
distributed all-integer verification of our (floating-point) proof of the
character of the 24th Fermat number (official announcement to come soon).

Best regards,
Ernst