Mersenne Digest      Thursday, September 30 1999      Volume 01 : Number 635

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:42:00 +1200 (NZST)
From: Bill Rea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Mlucas and MacLucasUNIX on SPARC

Sun Users,

I tried the Mlucas_2.7x compiled with Sun's f90 version 2 and compared
this against MacLucasUNIX v6.20. On the two ranges of exponents I tried
Mlucas was about 15% slower than MacLucasUNIX, using 256k and 512K
FFTs. Currently I'm double checking some exponents around 4,100,000 and
doing LL testing on some around 8,300,000. One advantage Mlucas might
have over MacLucasUNIX is that it can do FFT sizes other than 2^n,
but even using the 224K and 448K FFTs for these exponent sizes, it
was slower than MacLucasUNIX by about 8%.

So for now SPARC users should probably stick to MacLucasUNIX, but I
will look at the relative speeds again once MacLucasUNIX starts using a
1024K FFT, Mlucas' ability to do 640K and 768K FFTs should give it a speed
advantage for quite a long time. Of course, MacLucasUNIX might also be
faster by then :-)

The compiler options I used were:-

- -fast -libmil -xlibmopt -xarch=v9

I'm happy to try this again if someone can suggest a better set of
options. Putting -xarch=v9 does make Mlucas run faster on systems
that support it.

Bill Rea, Information Technology Services, University of Canterbury  \_
E-Mail b dot rea at its dot canterbury dot ac dot nz                 </   New
Phone   64-3-364-2331, Fax     64-3-364-2332                        /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                                         (/'