On 11 Oct 99, at 0:20, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> >Surely the EXE. file (Red) is the one.......I now after grappling with
> >shortcuts and supplanting various files blah blah cant download any work
> >that I have managed to salvage from an exponent I have been testing for over
> >4 months...
>
> Could you please be a bit more specific here?
>
> Is your problem that the p-file no longer is usable? Did you extract v19
> into a new directory, or the same as v18?

Some of us have done this _lots_ of times on _lots_ of systems &
haven't had any problems. I wonder if the problem is related to
whatever software the user is unzipping the distribution file with.
Assuming that instructions to unzip into the same directory (over-
writing the old files) are being obeyed.

v19 is known to be able to read save files from previous versions -
unless the save file is corrupt - e.g. the system power went down
whilst the file was being written, or two applications managed to
write to the file simultaneously (which doesn't sound very likely?)

Of course, it's _always_ wise to back up directories containing "work
in hand" before upgrading _any_ software, or installing anything new
... just in case ...

> >O.K. I downloaded it...Version 19 is no faster than 18
>
> That would probably be because you're using a Cyrix CPU. If you had had a
> Pentium (or a Pentium Pro/II/III), you would definitely have noticed a
> difference :-)

Nah, there's very little difference on a plain Pentium either.

> >FOR GOD SAKE GIVE ME A USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE, PROPER HELP MENU....
> >AHHHHHH....
>
> If you want a help interface, why don't you go off writing one yourself?
> Do the community a service, and never let anybody have to search the text-
> files again...

Constructive criticism is more useful. If you don't like the way
something works, tell us _exactly_ why, and how you would like it to
work instead. If an installation goes wrong, tell us _exactly_
everything you did, to what & in what order, also details of exact
version of OS. If we can replicate a problem, we may be able to fix
it. Given only "it doesn't work", that's a bit hard - when few of us
seem ever to have seen any similar problem.