On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Jukka Santala wrote:
> Is it just me, or does factoring smaller Mersenne numbers take
> propotionally much longer? I would expect M727 to be much faster than
> the 33M range to a fixed depth, yet the opposite _seems_ to be true.
It's not just you, it's a natural consequence of the property that all
factors of Mp must be of the form 2kp+1, so with a fixed depth and
larger p there are fewer possible factors to check.

> Ofcourse, I can't be sure about this, because the real complaint I have
> is that factoring numbers to depths beyond the "default" seems nearly
> impossible. The manual factoring assignment seems like the only
> possibility to force these, yet it doesn't work like the normal
> factoring (Doing one bit depth at time) and is a pain on a dual-CPU
> machine. Is it possible we'd get a third parameter to the Factor=
> work-line specifying the intended depth for the factorization? Also,
> usually for some reason Prime95 seems to reject most (all?) Factor=
> statements I've tried, could we get some more detailed instructions on
> this?
>
>  -Donwulff

Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S       URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/
 No, power off on shutdown is not SMP safe. It kind of happens to work on
 a lot of boards.  If making that APM call reformats your disk and plays
 tetris on an SMP box, the bios vendor is within spec (if a little
 peculiar).                            Alan Cox, on the Linux Kernel list