On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Jukka Santala wrote:

> Except that PrimeNet doesn't control the prize. This is the error everybody is doing.
> EFF is adminstrating the competition and prize, given by anonymous donaters to

The EFF is requiring full disclosure.  So if somebody used the GIMPS
client to find the 1st 10m digit prime, they'd have to say so, which would
then give GIMPS/Primenet the opportunity to point out that this was done
dishonestly.

I think you are all being rather silly about this whole thing.  Progress
in the middle of checking the primality of a mersenne number looks to be
too cumbersone to keep track of centrally, and I believe a distributed
solution -- while I've contemplated such things and find them intreaguing
-- would be more trouble than they'd be worth.  Of course, I incourage you
to continue to ponder the problem, and have no objection to it being
discussed here.  I just do not expect you to find a reasonable solution,
other than just letting it be, any time soon.  And this is coming from a
person who is not often content to just let things be.  But I think your
energies could be more effectively spent in othere areas.

I'd be significantly more interested in a client that had the
(optional) ability to upgrade itself.