> " Dickens applied for the patent in October 1996 "
>
> I was using windowing in 1987, so his patent is invalid (prior invention).

The problem now becomes, will these companies choose to challenge the patent
in court, spending millions of dollars, or will each company alone figure
it's cheaper to pay this guy than to pay their lawyers.

Apparently, that's been the tactic for many other similar "patent" cases
lately.  What the article termed "submarine patents" for their stealth.

Sad...isn't it?

Let's all be thankful that neither Lucas nor Lehmer decided to patent their
formula! :-)